Search HSG

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Field trips, classes & more, Oh my!

Dear Homeschool Families,
I am in the midst of planning for field trips, classes and activities for The HS Gathering. It would be helpful for me to know a few things first. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback and letting me know if you are available to help in any way.
Thank you & God bless!
Tika Weeks
The HS Gathering

  1. Would your family attend a field trip to the Oregon Caves this spring?
  2. If so, which program would you prefer to attend (follow links for more info):
    Geology: Our Changing Earth, 3rd-5th grades or
    Watersheds: Through the Mountain and to the Valley, 6th-8th grades
  3. Would your family be interested in a field trip of:
    a local television or radio station?
    Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport & a historic KC-97 Stratofreighter?
    Medford's National Weather Service station?
    Jackson County Library?
  4. Would your family be interested in a 4-week science class on chimpanzees, leading up the the release of DisneyNature's Chimpanzee movie in April? Read more here.
  5. Would your family (especially your daughters) be interested in classes on:
    basic sewing?
    gardening?
    cooking?
     
  6. What does your family look for in regards to FAMILY ACTIVITIES within the homeschool community? Where do you find these opportunities?
  7. Are you interested in a book or curriculum swap in February (can't wait for the Used Curr sale in June?) or a one-time "FOR SALE" bulletin going out the the homeschool community?
Any additional thoughts, ideas, or suggestions for HSG are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

8 comments:

  1. tika,
    i just read this excitedly to maddie and her face lit up at the ideas!!
    so, our 'answers' ... :)
    ** she would LOVE an oregon caves field trip (although i wouldn't be able to go in w/baby so it would work only if we had another parent she could tour with) ...
    ** we would like field trip(s) to a radio station and tv station
    **YES, yes, YES on a science class re: chimpanzees. sign her up :)
    **and, finally, she would love a cooking class. i think sewing would be great for her, too.

    emily
    home2learn.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas, Tika! I would love to do ALL of it, but my kids are probably a bit too young for most of them. If the chimpanzee class would be doable for a 6 year old I would be very interested in that. As far as family activities, we are open to pretty much anything that we can take our little ones to. We love the Christian music skate night at the roller rink, my oldest loved Leslie's outdoor classes and camp (although I realize that our whole family couldn't attend, but it still involved Dad). So I guess as far as looking for activities, I am mainly relying on the message boards and word of mouth. Your website has directed me to many activities I didn't know about, so that has been a great resource for me. A one-time for sale board might be a good idea. I think an on-going for sale board where people could continuously post would be neat but I'm not sure how difficult that would be to maintain or set up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Oregon Caves sounds like fun! I could help drive/chaperon, depending on what day we would go. The tv or radio station, and the airport would be great, too. My daughters would love a class on basic sewing, I could help with that one, and knitting. I can't knit. For fun, we do a lot of free stuff, like the Green Show at the Shakespeare Festival (not always family friendly), the pottery show in the fall, the Chinese New Year Parade in Jacksonville, concerts in Bear Creek Park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tika,
    Would love to participate in another one of your awesome Disney Nature classes !! Please sign Cherub and Gabe up as long as the classes are not scheduled on Tuesday or Wednesday as these days are already booked.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tika
    What exciting possibilities. We are particularly interested in the things you list in points three and five.
    I am available to be a contact person, or helping hand, just let me know as the needs arise.
    Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of homeschooling families. You are building community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tika,
    If it worked with my schedule we would be interested in the Oregon Caves! We have never been there and I have heard it is really cool! Thanks for all you do for the HS community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am interested in the local field trips pointed out in list number 3 and possibly in the Oregon Caves trip depending on the date. I would want to learn about the geology. Laura H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tika,
    Sorry we took so long to respond to this!! But my daughter answered YES to all the field trips and classes except maybe the library, just b/c we're there all the time. :) for the OR caves, she'd be more interested in the Geology one (she's in 5th grade). We LOVE doing field trips and stuff - just not on Fridays because she takes classes at Logos.
    Thanks for listing all the possible opportunities!
    tamara and jordan

    ReplyDelete